Become a SAYTC member
Benefits of membership
SAYTC markets Southern Africa as premier backpacking and youth tourism destination, both internationally and locally. SAYTC also markets members’ products to other members and at international travel expos.
International travel shows
SAYTC attends a few international trade shows a year. We are always looking for funding opportunities and have succeeded in getting major funding for our members over the past 5 years. Obtaining funding is a continuous journey and we will always work through many different channels to secure future funding.
SAYTC has the busiest stand in the ICC hall during Indaba. SAYTC members can be sharing exhibitors on our stand where you can get direct business, referrals within the stand and doing business with other sharing exhibitors and SAYTC members.
SAYTC also hosts a very successful and popular party during Indaba at one of the backpacker establishments.
SAYTC regularly prints brochure maps that lists all members, their products or services and contact details. Brochure maps are distributed at:
- international trade shows and selected travel agencies abroad
- SAT in Australia
- DTI offices in Chicago, New York and Italy
- selected South African Tourism and South African Consulate offices abroad
- key tourist information centres and travel centres countrywide
- the establishments of all SAYTC members
Each year SAYTC also prints an A4 Show manual that highlights regions in SA, travel info and services in SA etc, catering to the international traveller. Members have the opportunity to advertise in this brochure that gets distributed at international shows, to give them exposure even if they are not attending the shows themselves.
Every SAYTC full member gets a listing on the SAYTC website. The listing has a direct link to the member’s own website. Current domains registered include:
BnB offers SAYTC members 15% discount on insurance. BnB Sure specialises in guesthouse, backpacker and B&B insurance.
SAYTC offers a powerful networking tool as it promotes and recommends SAYTC members amongst each other. Regional networking functions are held regularly and National functions are held annually. This networking strengthens your business and promotes regional cooperation.
SAYTC is the united voice of the backpacking and adventure industry. It creates and maintains good relationships with other government, regional, national and international bodies in the tourism and travel industry. SAYTC represents you on the:
- Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA)
- Fair Trade and Tourism (FTTSA)
- STAY WISE
- South African Tourism website
- The Federated Hospitality Association of SA (FEDHASA)
- WYSE Travel Confederation who represents the international youth market at the UN World Tourism Organisation
- WYSE Work Abroad
Information and statistics
As a SAYTC member, you will receive:
- a newsletter providing interesting info and keeping you up to date with SAYTC and general travel industry news
- your regional reports and other regional, show and conference reports
- access to the latest industry research and statistics
- crime watch notices: SAYTC assists in the protection of members and guests by reporting and circulating incidents of theft, bilking and missing persons
Members must be accredited (AA, SATSA (South African Tourism Services), TKZN (Tourism Kwa Zulul Natal), TGCSA ( Tourism Grading Council SA), Fair Trade OR ECTB ( Eastern Cape Tourism Board) by June 2010.
- Full members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Full members may attend meetings and networking
- Listing on website
- Brochures and advertising benefits
- Use of SAYTC/ BSA logos
- Voting rights
Targeted at smaller members who can’t pay full fees or get accredited as the want to stay small, eg. a 2 room backpackers in the Transkei.
- Pay 50% of lowest membership tier.
- Must be nominated by 2 Full current members
- An Executive committee member or SAYTC coordinator will inspect the premises before it’s accepted
- Objections can be given by Full members
- Associate members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Associate members may attend meetings and networking
- Separate listing on website under different category with a clear message stating that SAYTC cannot guarantee the standard or quality of the establishment.
- Cannot use BSA/ SATYC logo on website/ flyers, no funding, no advertising benefits, no voting, no banner ads etc
- Targeted at small backpackers/ start up backpackers that want to get a feel for the industry and the organization.
- BSA members can mentor them and help them to grow and become full time members
- Available for new members only - for the maximum of one year.
- Incubator members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Incubator members may attend meetings and networking
Accommodation Member: (to qualify you have to be graded with an accreditation body that SAYTC recognizes)
- Lowest: 30 beds or less - R2200
- Middle: 31 to 60 - R3350
- Highest: 61 above - R4400
- Full Members pay - R4400
- Associate members pay - R2200
Wheels/ Adventure: (pax a year)
- Lowest: Under 100 pax - R2200
- Middle: 101 – 500 pax - 3350
- Highest: 501 above - R4400
- Lowest: Below 50 a year - R2200
- Middle: 51 to 120 - R3350
- Highest: 121 above - R4400
- Lowest: Below 1 mil turnover - R2200
- Middle: 1mil to 2 mil turn over - R3350
- Highest: + 2 mil turn over - R4400
- 1st business registered must be the biggest business and R800 for every business thereafter
- Pay 50% of lowest membership tier